Vicarious trauma...after our guests from Deer Lake

It has been over a week now since the last guest from Deer Lake left our community.  On very short, notice our community of Smiths Falls and surrounding area were given the task of setting up an evacuation shelter for over 600 members of the Deer Lake community due to threatening forest fires in their area.
I, and many others, spent most of the 14 days providing support and services for this First Nations Community.  It was physically and emotionally demanding because these people were displaced from their own community and suffering from health and other effects of this evacuation.
This was an experience of a lifetime, to do such humanitarian work right in our own community.  The other side of this is the affects on us personally when we do such demanding work.  There can be physical and emotional symptoms of vicarious trauma.  The Headington Institute/Care for Caregivers Worldwide, describes vicarious trauma as "...the negative changes that happen to humanitarian workers over time as they witness and engage with other people's suffering and need...".
I have experienced symptoms such as heightened anxiety, sleeplessness, intrusive memories (what if...?), physical and emotional exhaustion and more.  I am normally at a desk working with the public and there were many miles travelled at Rideau Regional; many carts pushed loaded with food, drinks and luggage; many stories heard.  I witnessed many of their struggles.
I thought it might be helpful for others who assisted with this endeavour to realize some of what they might be feeling is normal and it is good to talk to others about your experiences, both good and bad.
I would love to hear from other people about similar experiences and I encourage you to check out the Headington Institute at www.headington-institute.org.
Christa

9 Comments to Vicarious trauma...after our guests from Deer Lake:

assignment writing help in australia on June-11-18 9:40 AM
Vicarious trauma is you can adopt if you not take care of yourself. After our guests from deer lake is come in our home that time they are showing us a report that they are suffering form the trauma. And they need to remove that after sometime.

greenessay.com review on July-26-18 6:53 AM
Drone technology is also utilized in sports nowadays which humans sincerely enjoy from the ideas of master minds. I normally see such races in my own eyes and write many articles and for the people who don’t get a risk to peer. I also read this newsletter cautiously and get pretty facts from it on this be counted.

Android TV Box on August-22-18 7:06 AM
The Minix Neo U9-H is the Android Box to choose, if quality issues to you. It possesses attaining brand-new elevations in regards to watching, and also as a result of its price-tag, we presume that they're not fooling around.

spider solitaire game on October-10-18 2:24 AM
Spider is great and entertaining is the largest collection of card games where you get free spider solitaire a suite and more benefits for playing

Assignment Writing Service on November-22-18 1:14 AM
The Minix Neo U8-H is the Android Box to pick if quality issues to you. It has accomplishing fresh out of the box new heights concerning viewing, and furthermore, because of its sticker price, we assume that they're not wasting time.

Write my Paper on November-22-18 2:49 AM
innovation is additionally used in games these days which people truly appreciate from the thoughts of brains. I ordinarily observe such races in my very own eyes and compose numerous articles and for the general population who don't get a hazard to peer.

Do my Essay on November-22-18 3:21 AM
On the off chance that you need, I can assist you with your academized audits and it will be great. It will enable you to learn new things that you have to think about it.

Online assignment help on January-17-19 1:57 AM
Very informative !! Your style is very unique compared to other people I've read stuff from.

Assignment Help Australia on February-11-19 6:29 AM
A special thanks to Assignment Help Australia for providing an exceptional assignment within a short period of time. Your work is really amazing. Hope you reach heights in the future. You can email us at cs@Myassignmenthelpau.Com or Phone Number: +61-2-8005-8227